Propane is highly flammable. Follow these safety tips to reduce the risk of fire or explosion:
- Check hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
- Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.
- Always keep propane tanks upright.
- Never store a spare propane tank under or near the grill.
- Never bring the propane tank into the house or store indoors.
- Never store or use flammable liquids, such as gasoline, near the grill.
- Never keep a filled propane tank in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
- Make sure your spark igniter is consistently generating a spark to create a flame and burn the propane gas. If the flame is not visible, the heavier-than-air propane gas may still be escaping and could explode.